Year in Review - 2023

 

My 2023 Sewing Year in Review

I decided to keep a log of the items I completed in 2023 just to see how much I actually made.  I managed to complete a few things that had been started in the past – we won’t say what year.  But they are out of the stash and have been put to use.  So here is the list.

 

Charity Sewing: 11 items for the baby pantry and 2 dog beds made from recycled jeans. The dog beds helped me get rid of quite a bit of leftover batting from quilting projects.  Win, win on a stash buster.

 

 

Sewing for Others:  6 pillowcases, a crib sheet and a zipped fleece jacket with matching joggers.  All these items were for grand-kids.

Doll Clothes:  10 American Girl doll outfits.  1 sweatshirt, 2 skirts, 6 dresses, and 1 pair of pants. The patterns came from various sources both printed and downloads.  My two youngest granddaughters have even more requests for 2024.  Sometimes they can be very specific as in requesting a dress with ice cream fabric but mostly I use up leftover fabric from a project.

Quilting:  This was the year of quilts.  I completed two large wall hangings for myself.  One was a pieced sewing machine that hangs on the wall in my sewing room.  The other was a Riley Blake kit with autumn barn scenes and pieced maple leaves.
 

 

My youngest granddaughter loves rainbows, so I embroidered blocks with rainbows and offset them with pinwheel blocks.   

My oldest grandson wanted a deer quilt. So I ordered a deer print panel and used it for the center.  He then found a quilt pattern on Pinterest that he liked. So I got out my graph paper and translated it to a working pattern.  

 My middle granddaughter wanted a quilt with puppies on it.  I found the perfect design set at the AQS show in Grand Rapids and stitched them out.  I also completed the top for a baby quilt with applique bunnies, but it has not been quilted yet.  I also have the embroidered blocks done for another baby quilt that I hope to complete in 2024.

 Finally sewing for myself: 1 Margo purse, 1 Annie’s Midtown bag, 2 Nantucket mini charm zippered bags, 1 armchair sewing caddy. 

KS3555 Red flannel button up shirt.  This is a pattern I have made multiple times.

DIBY ABB tee shirt.  Apparently I really like this pattern as I made up 7 variations of this pattern.  This has become my favorite pattern to hack and if I need a basic tee shirt, it is my tried and true go to.

M7018 – This is a button up shirt pattern but made for knit fabrics.  I made this up in some floral jersey knit fabric from my stash and have worn it multiple times.  I would make it again.

Blank Patterns Sorbetto Top – this was a free pattern for a tank top made from woven fabric.  I have made this several times in the past. 

Itch to Stitch Mila Shirt – I have made several of this pattern.  This time I used it to do a pattern hack using some striped fabric. 

Love Notions Sloane Sweater – This is also another favorite pattern coming in second to the ABB tee.  This pattern is for a knit top with a back yoke that provides an area to do embellishment on.  I have done embroidery, played with stripes, and for this version I quilted the fabric. 

Of course as in any sewer’s year there were multiple requests for alterations and mending.  These are probably my least favorite things to sew.  But I will say that some of the alterations really made me think and tested my abilities. 

So that ends 2023 and now my 2024 sewing journey begins.  I started a new page in my notebook.  While I know I will sew up versions of my favorite patterns, this year I want to try out some new patterns. 

I recommend that you keep a log of your sewing journey as it is amazing how much you can accomplish in a year. Happy sewing.

Bev Day, Lansing Clipper Member

Comments

  1. Great job keeping track of your work Bev! You’re a real inspiration to many of us! It’s amazing how much a person can accomplish when you set your mind to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome accomplishment Bev! Keeping a sewing journal I will indeed do, wonderful idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You had a terrific sewing year! This should provide inspiration to those of us who wish we could sew more. I think the secret is probably the wise use of time. Thanks for sharing what you accomplished. -Judy Huhn

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are amazing. Your sewing expertise shines, Bev. And you have been a very productive sewist this year. I like the variety in your projects and how you let the grandchildren choose their themes.
    It would be nice to see the garments you made for yourself as your opinion of a pattern is predictive of success.
    Thanks for this post, and happy 2024.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue. I have started a new journal for 2024 and I am trying to make more notes about each project. Hopefully I can keep it up through out the year.

      Delete
  5. Outstanding Bev!!! You always amaze me! Joanie Harris

    ReplyDelete
  6. Outstanding Bev! You always amaze me! Joanie Harris

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an awesome accomplishment and what a great idea for us to journal. As you have shown us, it's also a great way to keep notes on what adjustments we perhaps have done. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

New Neighborhood Group - Pattern Works