My Experience with the Ditto Paperless Pattern Projection System

When I first heard about using a projector to put a pattern image on fabric to be cut instead of using a paper pattern, I was intrigued and I wanted to learn more about it.  So, when I heard that Country Stitches was hosting a demonstration for the Ditto system, I immediately signed up.

During the demo, there were two people assigned to each projector system set-up.  The company representative walked us through the process of choosing a pattern and sending it to the projector.  He showed us how to calibrate the projector and place the pattern images on the fabric.  I asked a lot of questions and listened as others asked questions as well.  The one thing I did not do was take a really good look at the patten library used to choose which pattern to send to the projector.  Nevertheless, at the end of the demo, I purchased the Ditto projector system.

The pattern library consists of Ditto patterns as well as certain others from major pattern companies and independent pattern companies that have partnered with Ditto for the use of some of their patterns.  After purchasing the system, you get access to the library by buying either a monthly or yearly subscription to it.  I chose the yearly subscription because it was cheaper and I wanted to give the Ditto a chance to do all that was promised.   However, the difference between using the Ditto patterns and using the others that are available is huge.  If you use the Ditto brand patterns, you have the ability to insert your own personal measurements and get a pattern custom made for you.   You do not have that option with other patterns in the library.  For me, that means if I choose any pattern that is not a Ditto brand, I still must make all the changes on a paper pattern that I normally make when not using the Ditto projector system.

At this point, my excitement over my new Ditto, was beginning to wane.  After all, I did not purchase the Ditto simply because it meant I would not need to pin a paper pattern to fabric to cut.  No, I bought it because I was excited that I could input my personal measurements and get a “made for me” pattern that would not require any alterations.  That possibility really hooked me!  What a time saver that would be!

I decided it was time to test the system.  I went to the pattern library and begin to look for patterns to test.  I planned to make a paper copy of some patterns using my personal measurements and then check the accuracy.  I looked at only the Ditto brand patterns so I could use my measurements.  That is when my disappointment really set in!  Much to my horror, I found few, if any, patterns I would actually wear.  Although I am almost 82 years of age, I don’t consider myself old or frumpy!  I enjoy wearing clothes with style; however, I do have my limits.  I will not wear mini-skirts, “drop-out blouses”, or extremely form fitting clothing.  I realize there may be those over 80 who wear those styles, but I am not in that group!  Therefore, I am placing my hopes in Ditto coming out soon with some patterns I would find comfortable and stylish. 

We were told during the demo that Ditto would be adding approximately 50 patterns a month to the library.  I never thought to ask if those patterns would actually be Ditto patterns that could be personalized with individual measurements or if some or most will be those of other participating pattern companies where the measurements cannot be personalized.  I plan to contact the customer service department of Ditto to have this discussion.  I have already talked to them a few times and I got the impression that they do care and do listen to customer input.

Now, back to my testing the patterns.  I started looking for a simple knit tee top.  I was not able to find one that fit that description.  Maybe it was there and I just missed it.  It takes a while to go through the entire library.  I did select to view only Ditto patterns, so that narrowed the selection a bit.  The closest pattern I could find to the tee top I wanted was a fitted knit top with a side zipper.  The “fitted” description as well as the zipper turned me off immediately.  If I make a knit top, I assume it can be made without a zipper.  However, I put all of that aside and sent the pattern to the projector.  I made a paper copy so I could check the fit.  I marked the seam allowances and then measured all pieces across the bust, waist and hips.  I found the pattern was accurate with the measurements, but gave very little ease because it was intended to be fitted.  I decided not to use the pattern for a garment because I know I will not wear that style.

The next pattern I sent to the projector was a blouse with a boat neck.  It had front bust darts and vertical darts in the back.  I do not like boat necklines, but decided to settle for it in order to test the pattern.  The instructions called for a 7 1/8” back exposed 7mm zipper and a 19 5/8” side invisible zipper.  The pattern was described as “fitted”, so I guess that is why it needed two zippers.  Again, I decided to put those issues aside and make a paper pattern to check the fit as I did on the knit top.  After checking the measurements, I cut the pattern out of fabric and basted it together.  I found if I left out the darts in the back, I could actually wear the garment.  I did not need to make any of my usual adjustments such as a full bust adjustment or an adjustment for forward shoulders.  It appears those were already done for me.  However, I did find a problem with the bust darts.  They were correctly placed, but the dart roofs (the triangle at the seam edge of the darts) were not accurate.  When I sewed the side seams, part of the dart roof was left hanging outside of the seams.  If they had been accurate, they would have been incorporated into the seam.  If they are not part of the side seam, they will eventually ravel.  I haven’t called Ditto Customer Service on this problem yet, but I will.

At this point I would give the Ditto system a grade of C based on the pattern library.  The system does me little good if I have little to no choice of patterns.   However, the company and the technology are fairly new, so they have a great opportunity to improve that grade.   There is a great potential market for this product if Ditto shows they are willing to use the resources needed to improve the pattern library and work out any problems with the technology.  If they could make it possible to add personal measurements not only to the Ditto patterns, but to the other participating companies’ patterns, that would potentially vastly increase the customer base.  In the meantime, I will continue to peruse Ditto’s pattern library and continue to try to find patterns that will work for me.

If you are interested in the concepts of the Ditto system, I suggest you go to https://www.dittopatterns.com/ and check out the pattern library before you purchase the equipment.  You may find the patterns currently available fit your style and preference.  Also, make sure you are able to get good wi-fi service.  You need that in order to calibrate the projector and send the patterns from your device to the projector.  You also need to be able to darken your room for the projector to work.  You can usually do that by turning off the lights.  I found it difficult to darken my sewing room because I have 8 large windows and a window in the outside door.  I resolved the issue by pulling the shades on the windows.

Have fun sewing and do your research.

Judy Huhn, Lansing Clipper Member

Comments

  1. Thank you for a thorough and balanced review, Judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting. Thanks for taking all the time and energy to test the system and update us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The projector technology is intriguing. Combining it with a pattern library with custom measurements is taking it to another level. I have used the Lakela patterns that are CAD drafted to your measurements with success- always making a muslin.
    Thank you for this review, Judy!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

New Neighborhood Group - Pattern Works

Year in Review - 2023