Happy New Year!!

As we start this New Year, I wonder... how many people have "a new year's resolution?"  You know... that big goal you want to accomplish... and you work really hard at it until you reach your first set-back… and then -if you are anything like me- you get the mindset that “I’ve done my best” and go back to old habits and give up that goal.  Or maybe you choose something really attainable... then you make a plan, work hard, and succeed. 

Well this year, I have made some New Year resolutions... and today I will share my sewing studio goals with you.  So, a little back story to get started… I am a fabric collector – I buy it faster than I can use it!!  What my husband refers to as a closet, I call it a fabric vault, LOL!! 

So, my first goal for the year is to use 2x what I buy 😲!!  My plan will require that I project purchase as much as possible.  Project purchasing is only buying supplies for the project that I am currently working on – NO STASH BUILDERS… ok let’s be realistic and say limited stash builders 😉. 

Goal two – to inventory all of my apparel fabric and patterns.  Have you ever been out shopping and wonder – Do I have this pattern at home??  How much fabric do I need to make project X?  Does it take interfacing or batting or BOTH?!?!?  A couple of years ago I started inventorying my patterns in a spreadsheet.  I can access the spreadsheet on my phone and my computer… and that pattern that I purchased 3x hasn’t been bought again.  But now I am looking at moving toward an app that will allow me to not only know the name and designer, but have a picture of the pattern – and the fabric guide, the notion list and any other notes I want to record. 

A second app will allow me to track my fabric… mind you, I am only doing apparel fabric at this time.  Way too much cotton/quilting fabric to catalog.  But back to the app… the app that I have chosen – Sew Organized – not only captures what you want to know about your fabric (picture, content, size, width, price, project), but also has a place to record inspirations, projects, patterns, measurements and a shopping list.  Right now, I am only using the fabrics tab… but I can see projects, measurements and patterns becoming go-to resources when I have the fabric catalog done.

My third, and final, goal that I will share with you is how I plan to use some of this stash.  I am in the process of planning my summer capsule wardrobe.  I have made a list of what items I want in my wardrobe based on my lifestyle (can I get a shout-out 📣 for my casual and comfy crowd??).   Now I am looking through my patterns to find exactly which pieces will best mix and match.  Next steps include going through my stash (preferably in the app) to find all the fabric I need and actually making the garments.

I hope whatever goals you set for yourself this year one of them is to take time to enjoy your crafting medium – whatever it may be.  And may you have a Happy New Year!!

#sewing #sew #sewsewsew #sewingproject #fabric #quilting #machingembroidery #sewinglove  #handmadewithlove #sewingaddict #memade #handmade #diy #fashion #capsulewardrobe #sewingmachine #isew #LansingClippers #Sew@Lansing #SewingStash #ASG #AmericanSewingGuild #SewingOrganization

*This article was written by Jen Moore, Treasurer, Lansing Clippers

 

Comments

  1. Great post, Jen! You have inspired me to try to organize my fabric and patterns. I need to check out those apps you mentioned.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

New Neighborhood Group - Pattern Works

Year in Review - 2023