A Sewing Plan/Journal for the New Year

How did your sewing go in 2022?  Did you sew that wardrobe for yourself that you have dreamed about for years?  Did you learn to sew an item like jeans or a coat?  Or did you make a shirt for your husband?  If you would like to be more successful with your sewing projects in the coming year, why not prepare a plan now that will help make that happen. 

It doesn’t have to be an elaborate plan.  It can be as simple or complex as you desire.  It should be based on your current sewing skills as well as the skills you want to develop in the coming year.  Start by getting a notebook to use to write your plan and record your progress.

List what type of sewing you currently do, i.e. quilting, garments, outer wear, bags, home décor, etc.  Follow that with the type of sewing you would like to learn to do.  Then add specific items or projects.  Under each project, list the techniques you need to learn to complete each one.  For example, if you are going to make a blouse, you might need to know how to put in sleeves or attach a collar. 

After you list what you need to learn, you should decide how to obtain that knowledge.  You have lots of options.  Start with your circle of friends.  Do any of them sew?  Perhaps some of them could help you.   Is there a local fabric retailer that offers classes on any of the projects you want to make?  Check your local library to see if they have any sewing books that discuss any of the techniques you need to learn.  What about your local sewing or quilting guild?  Do they offer any classes?  I know our sewing guild, the Lansing Clippers, asks our members every year for ideas for subjects they would like covered at our monthly meetings as well as classes and special events.

There is also the internet.  You may be surprised at the number of sewing techniques you can learn by searching the internet.  You will find written instructions as well as videos on all kinds of sewing techniques.  If you are interested in hemming a blouse or pants, try searching for “how to do a blind hem” or “how to hem a garment with a sewing machine” or “how to hem a garment with a serger”.  Keep trying key words until you find the information you want.

A few years ago, I wanted to hem my jeans without losing the original hem.  I wanted the jeans to look like they had not been hemmed after purchase.  So, I searched the internet for “how to hem jeans without losing the original hem”.   I found instructions for doing that as well as a video showing how to do it. 

By the way, if you want to learn to fit a pattern to your body, there is lots of information on the internet that will help you do that, too.  There are also two books that I recommend on fitting.  They are The Complete Photo Guide to Perfect Fitting by Sarah Veblen and Fit for Real People by Pati Palmer and Marta Alto.  Just remember to be patient when you are learning to fit.  It takes time.  Don’t give up.  Get someone to help you.

Someone once asked me if I kept a journal of the items I sewed.  I did not because I put most of what I sew on my blog, Chicken Little Sews, and that served as my record.   But, that question caused me to give some thought about having one.  I decided I could incorporate a journal with a plan and accomplish two things at once.  As I complete a project or learn a new technique, I can record it in my notebook along with a small sample of the fabric used and even a picture of the finished item.  Thus, the plan morphs into a written and pictorial record of each finished project.  At the end of the year, it will be fun to hold the notebook and look at what I actually accomplished during that year.   Maybe, my daughter and granddaughter, who live in different states, will enjoy looking through the notebook to see what I did all year long.

As you finish a project or learn a new technique, don’t forget to record it in your notebook.  You might find you need a three-ring notebook so you can add pages as you go along.  Remember to add your fabric sample and picture of the finished item. 

I hope you will create a sewing plan/journal for 2023 for yourself.  It doesn’t matter if you are a new sewer or an experienced one, you will accomplish more with a plan.   It takes perseverance and determination to find the right paths to make your plan successful, but you can do it! 

Have fun creating your plan!

Judy Huhn, Member, Lansing Clippers

#sewingplan #sewingjournal #sewing #sewingplanforthenewyear #learntosew

 

 

Comments

  1. Great suggestions Judy! 👏👏

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea! I plan to start a sewing journal. Thank you and what a terrific article!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Judy!

    Great post. I do not keep a journal of my makes, put I have a album in my phone and one on Facebook of my completed projects.

    As for pre-planning, I do keep a notebook of projects in mind... and just this week I was working on my summer capsule plan. I developed the list of clothing I need to add to my wardrobe and looked for patterns... next is the hunt for the right fabric.

    #capsulewardrobe #LansingClippers

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

New Neighborhood Group - Pattern Works

Year in Review - 2023