Scrappy Quilter

 *This is the third in a series of articles about Scrappy Quilting.

The “Candy Store” quilt is finished and ready for Show & Tell at the next meeting of the Lansing Clippers.  Check out the picture!  I decided to use Christmas fabric for the backing of each of my scrappy charity quilts.  This will make them reversible for the holiday season. 


While fun to see where the fabric takes the design, I’ve learned that scrappy quilts also generate lots of lint and thread pieces to pick off the quilt.  Once the binding goes on that issue is taken care of!

The pattern for the next scrappy quilt (#2) comes from the book “Curvy Log Cabin Quilts” by Jean Ann Wright, published by Landauer Publishing.  The layout I will follow is called the Stringing Beads Quilt, on page 41.  The blocks will measure 8 x 8 inches and the "curvy-ness" of the block is achieved by using 2 ¼ inch wide dark strips and 1 ½ inch wide light strips.  The center is a 1 ¾ inch square.  Creative Grids has created a Curvy Log Cabin Trim Ruler which was very helpful in keeping the block square as succeeding strips were added.  I’ve attached a picture of four blocks sewn together.  I’m planning to add a red border and binding.

 


I continue to find patterns that are adaptable to scrappy quilting and I’m finding it difficult not to continually start a new project before the current quilt is completed.  I’ve started a waiting list of projects since there doesn’t seem to be a danger of running out of scraps any time soon.

Roselyn Chaffin, Past President, Lansing Clippers

 

Comments

  1. This was a great article and these are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

New Neighborhood Group - Pattern Works

Year in Review - 2023