What Is a Scrappy Quilt?

*This is the second in a series of articles about Scrappy Quilting.

A scrappy quilt is not necessarily a quilt made up of small pieces of leftover fabric, but it can be.  The quilt I showed you in my last blog was that kind of quilt.  My definition of a scrappy quilt is one which includes a variety of fabrics in a variety of colors, a variety of prints and blocks which are not matchy-matchy. 

As I began my search for patterns which would be adaptable to scrappy quilts, I discovered that there are a wide variety of existing quilt patterns which are perfectly designed for scrappy construction.  Some of these patterns call for precuts, but if you have an existing supply of fabric. you can create your own precuts in sizes such as 2 ½ inch strips or 5-inch squares.

The pattern which I have chosen for my next quilt is called Candy Store, which I found in the May/June 2012 Fon’s & Porter’s Love of Quilting magazine.  The quilt in the magazine was designed by Jean Wells to be made with bright colors but I’m going to use strips available in my inventory in a variety of light, medium and dark colors.  The name Candy Store may not be appropriate for the quilt I develop but it will be made with fabrics which I have available.  Because the pattern is copyrighted, I cannot provide the pattern for you.  I’ve included a picture of a single block which has a 4 ½ inch square in the center and 5-inch-long strips around the outside.

I’ve completed the blocks and have sewn the rows together.   Now I just have to choose a backing fabric and quilt the quilt top.  I‘ll provide a picture of the finished quilt when it is completed.

Have you started a new sewing project?

Roselyn Chaffin, Past President, Lansing Clippers

Comments

  1. Genius way to use the stash! Looking forward to seeing the quilt. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These have been great and are wonderful ideas for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this - I am looking forward to future posts on this topic! This first one inspired me to try something similar, because I too have struggled with trying to be matchy-matchy.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

New Neighborhood Group - Pattern Works

Year in Review - 2023