Knitting Socks

Why knit socks?  There are many very nice socks commercially available that cost a lot less than the yarn for hand knit socks.  But there is something satisfying about completing a pair of patterned or striped socks.  But therein lies one problem, you have to make two and then there are the complications of tools and techniques.  Socks first appeared late in my knitting life – like in the last ten years.  The first pair was completed; and there were a lot of aspects of the process – tools and techniques – that I didn’t really like.  But I tried again; and this time one sock was finished and then the second sock was removed to the bottom of the yarn basket for about five years.  I found it again last year and thought it only needs the toe to be finished.  JUST DO IT!  So, I did and was reminded of all the things I don’t like about knitting socks.  That sent me looking for solutions.

What don’t I like about knitting socks?  It comes down to tool and techniques.  I strongly dislike double pointed needles.  Using four to allow circular knitting meant that after every needle change, I was chasing the stitches that had escaped from one of the four sets of stitches.  The needles were constantly tangling and I had large gaps where I changed needles.  Using a long circular needle for the magic loop helps but it is still awkward and I get confused about which end is next!

As for techniques, it is either cuff down or toe up.  Cuff down is easy to cast on but finishing the toe is not fun.  I have yet to master the Kitchener stitch despite watching multiple YouTube videos and studying step by step diagrams.  I always seem to lose a stich here or there.  The toe is finished and then I notice a wayward stitch climbing down the ladder to escape into the foot.  So, start at the toe and work up – no Kitchener stitch.  But now it’s back to double pointed needles and all those problems as well as the mystery of the cast-on using waste yarn.  Every time I use the waste yarn cast-on, I spend a lot of  time picking the waste yarn out to free the working stitches.  I’m doing something wrong and it is frustrating.  The final issue is you have to make two socks, i.e., the dreaded second sock syndrome. 

I found solutions, at least for me, that solve these problems by studying a lot of patterns and instruction web sites. For tools, I found there are very, very short circular needles (9 inches) which are just the right length for my socks.  I started out with fix-end short 9-inch circulars from ChiaoGoo and HiyaHiya.  I liked these and then I bought the ChiaoGoo shorties – 2-inch needle point with a 5-inch cable.  These are the perfect sock needles!  (Sock picture 1)


But there was still the problem of the cast on.  The toe starts out with too few stitches to use even the really short circular needle.  At this point I found HiyaHyia Flyers flexible double points – they are 8-inches long with 3-inch points and a 2-inch cable.  They come in a set of three and I use them like a magic loop but without the loop.  They also work very well with the cast-on technique I found after reading many patterns – The Turkish Cast-on or invisible cast-on.  The Spruce Crafts has a nice tutorial (https://www.thesprucecrafts.com/turkish-cast-on-for-toe-up-socks-2116374) and there are a lot of YouTubes.  It involves wrapping the yarn around two parallel needles and then knitting the loops on one needle and then the loops on the other.  The flexible double points work well here because they are short and hold the few stitches on the cable so they don’t slip off as with straight double points.  The magic loop also works.  (Sock picture 2).


For me, I have solved my technology and technique problems and socks are now fun to do – even though I still have to do two.  I tried knitting two socks at once.  The YouTubes made it look very doable.  But not for me.  I struggled just to get the cast on (top down) completed.  Turning to go around each sock resulted in the gapping problem I have with double points.  My conclusion, socks are meant to be knit one at a time (at least by me).  Two socks do finish a lot sooner than two sleeves or a front and back of a sweater. 

After reading a lot of patterns I have come up with a formula that works for me.  I am knitting “plain” socks, i.e., socks without a decorative or ribbing pattern.  I think this lets the beauty of the yarn come out and if it is self-striping, all the more fun.  My personal formula is based on the Gusset Heel Sock instructions from Wendy Knits (search for Gusset Heel Sock – Wendy Knits).  I usually use a size 3 needle and cast on 12 loops for the Turkish cast on using the flexible double points (two with stitches and one to knit with).  I work in the round increasing one stitch at the beginning and end of each needle, every other round until I have 28 stitches on each needle – toe is complete.  Now I switch to the shortie circular and knit 50 rows for the foot.  I use a colored marker to mark the beginning of the round.  Half the stitches correspond to Needles 1 and 2 (for double points) and a different color marker to mark where the back (Needles 3 and 4) starts.  Next is the heel gusset which is where I follow The Gusset Heel Sock instructions.  The front of the sock is knit as usual; on the foot or back of the sock I increase one stitch at each end every other row until I have 48 stitches on the second needle (heel section).  Then 20 rows of short rowing (only on the back of the sock) and I have a heel.  Another 40 rounds on both and I am ready for 10 rounds of ribbing.  I have a sock!

I have found that ribbing is necessary for the sock to slip on easily.  I made one set without ribbing and while I can get them on, they want to catch as I pull them over my heel.

So, if you don’t like knitting socks, maybe it is because you need different tools and different techniques.  Socks are actually quick and fun.  Seeing that lovey yarn take shape as an item you can identify is very satisfying.  Not to mention, you now have warm feet!


*Note - This article was written by Sandy Herman.  She coordinates both the Skein Gang and the Sew Social Neighborhood Groups for the Lansing Clippers.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Neighborhood Group - Pattern Works

Year in Review - 2023