Jacket 5 - Construction of the Outer Jacket.

Now I am ready to put the parts together.  I have two jacket fronts (a left and a right), the back, and two sleeves carefully checked to be sure they are mirrors of each other.  I have been known to end up with two right or two left sleeves.  So, I took extra care to be sure I got these correct.  The fronts and back go together easily.  I have to keep the chest piece out of the shoulder seam but as it is only tailor basted, it is easy to fold back.  It’s beginning to look like a jacket.

Next is setting the sleeves.  This is where having the notches marked is helpful.  I could find the front and back notches and the shoulder seam point on the sleeves but the back notch on the jacket seems to have disappeared.  Ugh.  Fitting the sleeves was more challenging than it needed to be.  I finally measured where the back notch on the jacket should be and then fitted the sleeve.  I usually would just pin and sew but this time I basted the sleeve in place and checked the outside for fit.  The first sleeve looked good; and was good when sewn.  I had basting to pull out but the fit was smooth and even.  Now for the second sleeve.  It always seems that there is one sleeve which is a problem.  The second sleeve proved harder to fit smoothly.  I ripped out the back seam twice before I had a smooth seam with no gatherers or pleats. 

And now I have a jacket!  Well, half a jacket.  All the interior finishing has to be completed.  I hemmed the sleeves before setting them but the lower hem is still to be completed along with the lining.  One nice thing about this pattern is that the back does not have a vent at the hem nor do the sleeves overlap openings at the cuff..   

Before moving on to the facing and lining, there was one more construction project – shoulder pads and sleeve heads.  Pressing the armhole seams was a conundrum.  I always press the seam into the sleeve.  But the tailoring book said to press the seam on the sleeve cap open.  I decided another opinion was needed and turned to Claire Shaeffer’s Couture Sewing Techniques.  She explains that the seam below the notch should be pressed flat so as to not add bulk to the side of the jacket.  The seam above the notches and cap should be pressed open to prevent a ridge from forming around the cap.  I pressed the cap section of the armhole seam open.  It was a struggle to get the armhole seam over the ham and open and at the same time keep the layers of the chest piece out of the way.  It wasn’t easy but I made it happen.  Now the shoulder pad is placed in the shoulder pad pocket, basted in place, and then stabbed stitched to the armhole seam that has been pressed open.  The top and side of the shoulder pad pocket are then catch stitched to keep everything in place.  Finally, the sleeve head strip is slip stitched to the armhole seam round the cap.  The first shoulder pad was a struggle but then the second just went together.

The jacket and its internal structure are complete.  The next adventures are the facing, lining and creating the inside pocket, and collar.   (Pictures 5-1 and 5-2)

                                                                    Picture 5-1
                                                                     Picture 5-2

*This is the 5th posting in a series by Sandy Herman about making a tailored man's jacket.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Neighborhood Group - Pattern Works

Year in Review - 2023