The Original Sewing & Quilt Expo November 11 to 13, 2021 Novi Michigan

                                 

The sewing expo was on again this year and I was excited.  Having missed it and a sewing adventure in Canada in 2020 because of Covid, I greatly anticipated a chance to be immersed in sewing.  The Expo was like a retreat with the opportunity to try new techniques and hopefully reenergize my sewing.  The classes and teachers did not disappoint me but the shopping was considerably less than in previous years.  The major sewing and quilting machine companies were represented but there was very little fabric, notions, and other tools.  The classes gave me a chance to use Juki (serger), Viking, Janome, and Bernina sewing machines.  I discovered that while I am a committed Babylock user, I still like the Viking and the Janome was very similar to my Babylock.  I took five three-hour classes and learned in all of them. 

First was Alicia Welcher’s (Classic Sewing Magazine) 5 Zippers, 5 Bags using a Juki MO-2000 VP Quilt Virtuoso Pro from Country Stitches.  We made five little bags each with a zipper:  (1) Tissue case; (2) Flange over the zipper;  (3) Invisible zipper bag;  (4) Box corner bag; (5) Top closing bag with top-stitched zipper.  We used a cording or piping foot which has a slot on the bottom which tracks over the zipper coil.  The zipper is placed top down under the foot with the zipper pull out of the way to the back and then the fabric (in this case the outer and lining wrong sides together) are placed with the outer fabric up under the zipper.  This way the right side of the zipper is against the right side of the outer bag fabric.  After the first side is completed, the other side of the zipper is stitched similarly with the zipper stop to the back of the foot.  Then the side can be completed.  WOW – a zipper insertion finished in under 5 minutes.

My second class was fun with Eric Drexler from Sulky making the Free Motion Thread Lace Scarf using a Viking Designer Epic 2 from Country Stitches.  This was fun!  Using sticky Solvy and super and ultra Solvy along with Sulky blendable and metallic thread, we made three samples.  One used 


snippet scraps – tiny pieces of cut up fabric – laid on sticky Solvy and then overlaid with super Solvy on which I had drawn a ½ inch grid.  Stitch the grid to hold all the little pieces in place and you have a lacey fabric.  The second sample used Ultra Solvy on which I drew a ½ inch grid pattern, then couched stitched yarn over the grid with blendable thread and then later I’m to stitch it again with the metallic thread.  If made long enough (6 feet!), it would make a great scarf.  The last sample used Ultra Solvy on which I drew a ½ inch grid pattern, blendable thread free-motion stitched circles etc. over the grid.  Later I’m to add the metallic thread.  I need a lot of practice with free-motion embroidery.  One trick I learned is to put Sewer Aid on the needle so that the “goo” doesn’t stick to the needle and pull the fabric up as you stitch.

My third and fourth classes were quilting sessions with Nelly Vileikis from Artelas Quilts.  Her first class was her Sunset #19 quilt pattern (1/2 square triangle quilt) using a Bernina B770 Quilter Edition from Fabric Affair, Troy MI.  Starting with 5-inch squares, we created 80 half square triangle blocks.  I learn a number of techniques to start my stitching at the edge of the corner by using a knee lifter with the presser foot.  The instructor demonstrated squaring up (which I needed to do – my 5-inch squares charm packs were not all 5-inches).  Then, we were to use a quilting bat as a design “wall” to lay out the quilt.  I didn’t get that far.  An intense class but I now have the parts for a quilt.  Her next class was Free Motion for All using Janome M7 Continental Professional.  Here we practice free motion quilting designs by drawing.  First, we traced a design, then drew it free hand, then tried stitching it out on the sewing machine.  There were eight exercises – each harder.  I need a lot of practice.  The class was helpful in that I learned that drawing the design out and practicing the movements is helpful in later moving the fabric without having to concentrate on your movements.  But free motion requires practice, practice, practice.


My last class was just for fun with Cindy Lobeck, Dye Heart Studio- Wax On Wax Off: Soy Wax Batik.  Tjaps and Tjantings are tools to create batik.  Tjaps (Chops) are copper stamps that are dipped in melted soy wax and then stamped on fabric.  Tjantings (Chantings) are pipe like pens to place line and dots of wax on the fabric.  So first you wax on – create the design.  We used white and then hand dyed fabric squares to create our designs by stamping and drawing.  Much like free-motion quilting, I need a lot of practice at drawing designs.  Next came the dye which we mixed in class using print paste and water.  The waxed fabric was sprayed first with soda ash dissolved in water and then painted with all the colors one wanted.  It took over night for the dye to dry.  And now I have to wash it out.  That is a future activity.  Great fun but it takes a lot of materials to do.  So, I will not become a dyer any time soon.


I enjoyed my time there and will go again.  I would probably do only one three-hour class a day, but then again, it is so hard to choose!  Next year’s dates for the Expo are November 10 - 12, 2022.

 

*This article was written by Sandy Herman.  She was treasurer for our organization for several years and now coordinates both the Skein Gang and the Sew Social neighborhood groups.

Comments

  1. I appreciate the summary of your experience this year. I had hoped to attend, and the class descriptions looked especially interesting. However, the ONLY time we needed to be out of town since March 2020 was the same dates. Dates for next year are on my calendar and I'll be watching for the class details.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

New Neighborhood Group - Pattern Works

Year in Review - 2023