The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly of a Fabric Stash

I have lived with a fabric stash for many years now.  Most of my sewing friends also have fabric stashes, some larger than others.  I have known a few people who do not have one.  They buy just enough fabric for one project and do not buy anymore until they finish that project and begin a new one.  My mind does not operate in that slow, methodical way.  When I am purchasing fabric for one project, my mind jumps ahead and reminds me that another piece of fabric that is just within reach would look really nice for another project I could do later.   It also reminds me that the fabric probably won’t be available if I return in a few weeks after I finish the current project.  If I really like the fabric, I should purchase it now.  Besides, it is on sale now!  So it goes.  The stash gets larger and larger. 

There are some really good reasons to have a stash.  The closest fabric store is about 25 – 30 miles from my house.  It is nice not to have to drive to get fabric every time I want to sew.   I can usually find something in my stash to use for almost any project I want to make.  This is especially nice if it is snowing or raining.  I can put together the supplies I need without leaving home.  Another good thing about my fabric stash is it provides inspiration for me to sew.  If I just look through part of my stash, seeing the fabric will cause me to remember why I bought it and I can then begin to plan my next project.  I get inspired from seeing and touching the fabric.  If I find a piece of fabric that I really don’t like, I will not use it to make a garment because I know I will not enjoy wearing it.  Instead, I will give the piece to someone who appreciates it or use it to make a throw-away muslin to fit a pattern to me.  

There are some bad things associated with having a fabric stash.  You have your money tied up in something you aren’t actually using at the present time.  But really, how many of us stop to consider whether the money we use to buy fabric for our stash would be better off in savings?  There are those that say a fabric stash is nothing but a waste of money because chances are good you may never use the fabric in the stash.  There is also the problem of where do you store your stash.  It keeps getting larger and larger.  It starts with one plastic container of fabric and suddenly you are buying more and more containers and looking for space to store the containers.

Now, what is the ugly about a fabric stash?  I have noticed that some pieces of fabric may be beautiful when purchased, but the fabric gets uglier with each passing year.   Eventually, I cannot imagine why I bought it!  On the other hand, some pieces of fabric never loose their beauty.   

Another way a stash can be ugly is how it weighs on your conscience.  You feel guilty for not making something from all the fabric you have stored away.  Maybe your friends keep reminding you of what a waste of money the stash is. 

Well, there you have it.  That is the good, the bad, and the ugly of a fabric stash.  Lots of us have fabric stashes of various sizes.  Some people may think a fabric stash is a good thing and others think a stash is a bad thing.  I personally wonder if I will every actually get to the bottom of my stash.  I have been sewing from my stash for more than two years and I still have lots of fabric!  I think I know what the problem is.  I keep adding to the stash.  However, I do think I am making progress with reducing the size of the stash and buying less fabric.  The picture below shows a small portion of my stash.

 


My advice to anyone who enjoys sewing is this.  If you don’t have a fabric stash, be aware of the good, the bad, and the ugly of having one.  Then, if you start a stash, be conservative.  Try to limit the stash to one or maybe two plastic tubs no larger than approximately 18 gallons.  This should be large enough to provide convenience and inspiration for you and yet small enough to be manageable. 


Note - This was written by a member of the Lansing Clippers, Judy Huhn.  Future posts will be written by other contributing members. We hope to provide sewing tips and techniques as well as highlight our organization's activities.  Thank you for your interest!   

#fabricstash  #sewing

 

 

Comments

  1. Great article Judy. Maybe one-day I'll have a machine again and start a smart stash of my own!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Judy! this is a great start to the Clippers Blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Judy! This was highly entertaining. As I contemplate my much larger than 2 storage bin stash, I believe a sew-in may be recommended 🤣

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

New Neighborhood Group - Pattern Works

Year in Review - 2023